"You are lovable. I love you. You can love yourself." ~My Someone Special

Saturday, July 21, 2007

It's My Birthday (And I Can See The Door)...


Yesterday, I was involved in a three hour discussion on forgiveness, and for me it's not the easiest thing in the world to process. However, after watching Forgive for Good, I quickly realized much of what I was hearing in the video, resonated with my life experiences. I was stunned by this revelation, yet so moved by it that I could no longer ignore the fact that: Forgiveness is not something that has come easy from my heart. Things I thought I had forgiven were actually still there with me in that room called...HURT. But the real kicker for me people, was when I realized that I am the one "maintaining" that room.

Dr. Frederick Luskin uses the analogy of a person locked in a room, trying to get out. Only after this person has run into the wall 15 times, does he finally begin to look for the door. Why run into the wall 15 times, you might ask? Well, for me personally, it's much easier to maintain the hurt from others by running into the wall, than to find the door and open it to all that it entails. Because dammit! I want a "better" past. I want the hurt surrounding my adoption all those year ago to not have happened...I want my mom to have loved me in the way I needed...I want the child abuse to not have happened...and I want someone to give me back my childhood with my siblings in it.

But thanks to Dr. Luskin, I think that I might have finally learned that ~true forgiveness~ is giving up all hopes of having a better past; that no matter how much I want it, or how much I try to squeeze it from somewhere, it's simply not going to happen. What happened to me was NOT OK, but it's something that can't be undone. And the only thing hurting me now, is not the hurtful things that were done to me as a child, but instead, it's my present thoughts and feelings about those past hurts, that is holding me back from opening that door.

So this year, my gift to myself is to open that door, and to tell you mom...that it hurt like hell that you left us, it hurt so much more after I found you, only to realize that hole you left couldn't be filled and with every hurtful word and physical attack from you, the hole only seemed to get deeper, but you know what mom? I made it! I survived and I'm still standing. I now have the ability to love and be loved in the way that I deserve. I love my children with abandon, my sisters with all my heart and I accept love too! I don't think I could have made it without missD's love, and people like her urging me on to see the blessings that surround me in life. I accept love every morning when I wake up next to a husband that adores me, and most of all, I love myself enough to walk away from that room filled to the ceiling with hurt.

I'm posting this picture of you, and in this photograph you're the same age I was when I started to have kids. I'm trying to put myself into your shoes back then, and realize that you were a young woman too with kids, trying to make your way. I realize now that when I got "lost" from the picture, it wasn't personal. It was all a matter of timing and your ability to cope as a young mother. Plus, how could I not forgive, you're holding two of my best friends in the whole world--my sisters. Oh! and I like what you're wearing...I could see myself wearing that.

It's the first birthday I will celebrate without you being here, as you're in heaven now, because you died in May. So I hope you can feel that kiss of forgiveness coming from my heart to yours. I'll leave the door open for you...

I love you, mom, thanks for giving me life 39 years ago exactly!

Love,

Your Devil~ heehee (private joke) in therapy they call people like me the "truth tellers" not devils...I'm just saying, that's all! I can see you rolling those pretty eyes at me from heaven...wink!

28 comments:

Tiffany said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you have a great one! Michele sent me here today to read your wonderful post! WTG on opening the door!

MsT said...

happy birthday and congratulations on your strength and your journey. some people never find the door. hello from michele as well :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. You mom must be blessing you from up there!

Michele sent us to wish you down here!

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over to wish you a happy 39th birthday, TW, though it's obvious that the day is bitter-sweet for you.

I've not been to your blog before so I read the past few entries and it's obvious that while you love your sisters and neice, you have a few issues with your childhood. I hope the therapy helps you--though the bathroom stall crying might be just as helpful. Cathartic moments can be very healing.

BreadBox said...

Happy birthday, and good luck finding all the right doors!
Michele sent me to say hi!
N.

shoeaddict said...

Happy Birthday! Oh how much I feel for you.
After I was in a very abusive relationship and in therapy, they told me "If you have one foot in the past an one in the future, you're pissing all over today". I know it's not very elegant. I know it's not as good as the door but, it's true.
I'm glad you've found the door.

K

Michael K. Althouse said...

Happy birthday. Thirty nine is not to old to forgive. I know, trust me.

Forgiving is not about the forgiven, but the forgiver. It is a gift you must give yourself - no one else can. It is hard, but the other side is soooo beautiful. I think you know that though.

Michele sent me,

Mike

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

And thank you. I needed this today. I will let go. I will let go. I will forgive.

It's the only way to fully move on.

Thank you for this, TW. You've resonated in my heart today.

Lisa said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you can see the door. We all need to give ourselves these sort of gifts.

Sara said...

Hope your birthday is wonderful!!!

BTW...Hello, Michelle sent me!!! And, I'm glad she did...otherwise I would not have been able to wish you a great birthday...

mckay said...

what a special treat to stumble upon your blog. i hope your bday yesterday was fun and frolicky for you. they're different as adults, hmm? more reflective than the icing on the cake fun...

hope yours was special in a 'quiet peace in the soul' kinda way.

mck.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for forgiveness!Hooray for birthdays! Hooray for the reappearance of TW in the blogging world! Love ya girly. As my 3rd graders would say...You ROCK!
MG

True Willow said...

tiffany, thanks for the sweet words. : )

True Willow said...

dara, my hope is that someone will find the door after reading this Post. ; )

True Willow said...

gautami,

I'm sure she is, but thank YOU for blessing me down here.! I enjoyed your Post. Take care.

True Willow said...

utenzi, bitter-sweet but more sweet than anything. Thanks for the kind words.

True Willow said...

breadbox...ditto!

True Willow said...

shoeaddict, I LOVED YOUR COMMENT. It's a phrase I will remember always. You have been bookmarked...wink!

True Willow said...

mr. althouse,

The man with the plan! Your comment was really sweet, and yes, the other side is very beautiful. Peace.

True Willow said...

tara, I send you lots of ( ( ( hugs ) ) ) jelly bean! We can walk through the door together...remember to B R E A T H E.

True Willow said...

Lisa, you're so COOL! Here's to us and many more.

True Willow said...

sara, thank you!!

True Willow said...

mckay, my soul was quiet, and it was a beautiful day. And comments like yours, was the icing on the cake. I will be over to visit soon. ; )

True Willow said...

MG,

I love you sooooo much! Thanks for the card. Honey did take me away in a shiny red convertible and it was fun! heehee ( ( ( HUGS ) ) )

TW
xoxo

jenny said...

Hey, I missed ANOTHER birthday...first Lisa's then your's.

Well, better late than never...

Happy Birthday TW!

Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Happy (belated!) Birthday TW!

We're both Cancerians?!

True Willow said...

Jenny, thank you, jelly bean!! I hope the weekend was good for you. ; )

True Willow said...

lmd, of course we are!! That make sense to me, that's why I like you so much! heehee HuGs, Jelly Bean!